Re Opening Dates
Our Archives and Discovery centre will be reopening as planned on Monday, 14 September by appointment only, to book email email@example.com.
The temporary exhibition space will re-open with the launch of our latest exhibition – ‘I Grew Up in the 80’s’ on Saturday, 24 October. It will be a fun, light-hearted look back at the decade that brought us everything from Pac Man to iconic musical hits.
The main Galleries will re-open on Saturday, 7 November with a wonderful new display of objects and artefacts telling the fascinating story of the borough.
New objects include;
- A ZX Spectrum the ultimate retro home computer. Technology has come a long way since the 80s, a modern day iPhone has one million times more computing power.
- A beautiful pocket watch bought in New York 1908 and brought back to Barnsley, representing the comings and goings of generations of Barnsley folk.
- Alan Hydes 1970s England Table Tennis Tracksuit – from bouncing balls off the coal shed in New Lodge to playing to tens of thousands in Beijing.
- A collection relating to Ernest Chapman, four times prisoner of war escapee and Greek freedom fighter.
- New collections relating to the iconic Barnsley jewellers Benj Harral and objects relating to the iconic film Kes.