60 Eldon Street
The original plans for this building suggest it was built as a warehouse for Arthur Watson in 1876.
However, it appears to have opened (in the same year) as Harry Roebuck’s furniture emporium. The original design had a large shop space on the ground floor, with warehousing on all of the other floors, including the basement. Roebuck’s traded here for 91 years, until 1968. The building was occupied by H Freeda Ltd., ‘Complete House Furnishers’ from 1969-1971 and then became home to a series of restaurants and take-aways, including Acropolis, the Taj Mahal, Perkins Cudworth Fish Restaurant and Gringos. Globe Travel, who still occupy the building, opened here in 1997.
60 Eldon Street in 1987 (ref A-81-C-5-53)
60 Eldon Street in May 2022 (copyright BMBC)
Building plan of 60 Eldon Street, 1875 (ref 440)