Our galleries will reopen from Monday 17 May open Monday – Friday 9am-4pm & Saturday 10am-3:30pm
Barnsley Archives and Discovery Centre will be open Monday to Wednesday, 10am until 12pm and 2pm until 4pm
Our cafe is currently closed.
Purchase a wonderful range of Barnsley themed gifts from the Museum shop including beautiful greeting cards, local history books, souvenirs and home wear.
The Old George at the Town Hall
An independent coffee shop serving breakfast, lunch, brunch and cakes. Speciality teas plus a fine selection of soft drinks.
Our cafe is currently closed.
There is lots of town centre parking available close to the museum, many of which are free at the weekend
Is the Museum open?
Our Archives and Discovery centre is open by appointment only, to book email email@example.com.
Our temporary exhibition space will re-open with the launch of our latest exhibition – ‘I Grew Up in the 80’s’. It will be a fun, light-hearted look back at the decade that brought us everything from Pac Man to iconic musical hits.”
The main Galleries will re-open on Monday, 17 May with a wonderful new display of objects and artefacts telling the fascinating story of the borough.
Do I have to book a ticket?
No just pop along and see us! There is reduced capacity inside the Museum so there maybe a short wait during busy periods.
Do I need to provide personal details?
In line with government guidance, the personal details you provide as part of booking may be used to support the NHS Test and Trace process to control the spread of coronavirus.
This data will be only be made available to NHS to help contain the spread of the virus if an outbreak is identified within our museums or galleries. This is in line with other organisations in the sector as well as businesses such as pubs, restaurants and hotels.
Can you ensure a safe visit?
We have been awarded the Good To Go status, designed by VisitEngland and recognised by the National Tourist Organisations of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This Industry Standard mark confirms that we have followed government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, have a Risk Assessment in place and a process to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing.
You will notice some small changes during your visit designed to make it a safe and enjoyable experience:
- We’ll be limiting the number of visitors to the Museum and there may be queues at busy times. We have a queue jump policy for those who are unable to queue and can provide portable seating on request for people waiting to enter.
- We are maintaining a two-metre social distance inside the Museum and in any queues.
- There will be hand sanitisers available around the venues - on entry and at all touchpoints
- Our shops will only accept cashless payments
- Visitors who do not have a valid medical exemption are required to wear face coverings throughout our museums and galleries, including the shop
- We have temporarily removed interactive elements to limit people’s contact with hard or shared surfaces
- We’ll be managing toilet facilities to control the number of people in and out and ensuring regular enhanced cleaning takes place. We have a Changing Places facilitiy in the Town Hall, please ask a member of staff to direct you.
- A one way system is in place to prevent overcrowding in popular spaces and some areas remain closed
- We will be doing lots of extra cleaning to make sure they are safe spaces for our visitors
Will we have to wear face coverings to visit the museums and galleries?
In line with government guidance, visitors within our shops, museums and galleries who do not have an exemption are required to wear a face covering in our inside spaces. We have mask exemption lanyards available on request which can be worn for the duration of your visit. These will be quarantined once handed back in.
Will you be checking people’s temperature before they enter the venues?
No, based on the current government guidance and advice, we won’t be checking people’s temperature.
Will the toilet facilities be open?
Our toilet facilities will be open, with limited capacity to enable social distancing. We have accessible toilets and a Changing Places facility available at the venue. Our team will be carefully managing these areas so there may be a short wait to use the facilities. All our washrooms will be cleaned thoroughly and regularly throughout the day for your safety.
I don’t feel comfortable returning yet. How can I engage with the museum without physically visiting?
We will be continuing our digital work including virtual tours and events.
Will the gift shop be open?
Yes however payments will be card only.
Will I be able to use the lift?
Our lifts will be available to use for those that require them. We will be regulating the use of our lifts and ensuring that only people from the same group are able to use the lifts at any one time.
Who can I speak to if I have a question or need help?
If you have any queries in advance of your visit you can call 01226 772 500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our team are excited to welcome you back to our museums and galleries. We have additional staff onsite to keep you safe. Please just let one of them know during your visit if you need any assistance or information and they will be more than happy to help.